Friday, February 19, 2016

Digital Inequality

One of the things that interested me the most about this chapter was the idea of the habitus. The habitus is the world that you grew up in and were socialized in. For example, I grew up in a much different one than my grandparents and my parents. I've grown up with more technology readily available to me, which influences my way of thinking and how I respond to different types of things. I was able to pick up on texting and use of different media than my parents have been, and even more so than my grandparents. Another example is the idea of how materialistic my grandparents are against how minimalistic I am. I am not very much into the flashy things, keeping most of my decoration and my life in a minimalistic way. My grandparents, however, feel the need to keep up with everyone else, needing to get the newer cars and needing to keep up on what is going around in terms of social media.

This idea also reflects the idea of the cultural capital, the idea that what we have shows our social class. Since I am a college student and do not have a savings account as large as my grandparents or a full time job like my grandparents have, I do not feel the need to spend the money that I have earned on things in order to keep up with everyone else around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment